Using Osborne Finishing Solution Kits
Osborne is bringing wood projects to a whole new level with the newest product offering: Finishing Kits. You can now order your favorite unfinished components, along with a kit to give you a professional looking finish. Osborne is proud to offer finishing kits from Mohawk Finishing Solutions to meet your finishing needs. These kits, made specifically for Osborne customers include aerosol finishing products, cloth, non-woven pad, and latex gloves. Mohawk Finishing, along with Osborne Wood Products, has also added an easy to follow, step by step instruction guide in each box. Or, simply follow the steps below for your perfect finish:
First, you must choose your finish from Osborne Wood Products. You may choose a Stain finish of: Cherry, Light Golden Oak, or Medium Walnut. Available as a Glaze Finish is Antique White with Glaze. For any of the Stain finishes please follow the Stain Finishing Instructions. The White with Glaze instructions are a bit different and can be found below the stain instructions. Ensure you are following the correct procedure for your finish before you begin.
You will also find links for printable instructions at the end of each instruction set. Simply click the link, and print for step by step instructions in your workshop!
Stain Finish Instructions
Instructions for Finishing in Cherry, Light Golden Oak, and Medium Walnut
1. Your first step will be to prep the area to which you wish to apply the finish. Sand the area or item using the supplied non-woven pad to remove splinters and to smooth over rough areas. This will allow for a good, clear surface for the finish to be applied. After the wood is smooth, you may wish to put on your latex gloves to prevent your hands from staining.
2. The first aerosol can that you will be using is the Ultra™ Classic Toner. This aerosol will be an M100 series can and will be specifically specified for your desired finishing color. Be sure to read all instructions on the back of the individual can for specific drying time and application instructions- as these can vary between finishes). Apply the Ultra™ Classic Toner to the unfinished wood. Allow for the proper amount of drying time specified on the can. Scuff the wood with the non-woven pad.
3. The next aerosol can that you will need is the Wiping Wood™ Stain. This aerosol belongs to the M145 Series and should also be for your specific color finish. Be sure to read all directions on the can, as these directions can vary based on color. This pigmented wiping stain is created to bring a beautiful, natural grain finish to your wood tones. It is also fade-resistant. Using this product in conjunction with the other aerosols creates a professional quality finish with rich color depth. Apply the desire color of the aerosol wiping stain.
4. When the stain has been applied (as per directions on the M145 series can) use the supplied foam brush to distribute the stain evenly across the wood. Once the stain has been evenly distributed, use the supplied white rag to wipe the stain to the desired color. Allow for proper drying time as specified on the back of the can.
5. The third aerosol can you will be using is the E-Z Vinyl™ Sealer. Be sure to read all back directions on the sealer to ensure the perfect application. This sealer is a water clear, quick build sealer. Apply a moderate coat of the Sealer and allow the proper drying time. Once the drying time has been reached, scuff with the non-woven pad.
6. Apply a second coat of E-Z Vinyl™ Sealer. Again, allow for proper drying time and then sand with non-woven pad.
7. The final aerosol we will be using is the High Solids Pre-Catalyzed Clear lacquer. Begin by reading all back instructions of the lacquer before applying. Apply a moderate coat of the High Solids Pre-Catalyzed Clear. Allow for proper drying time.
8. Finish off your wood piece with a second moderate coat of High Solids Pre-Catalyzed Clear lacquer. Allow for proper drying time.
You have now completed all of the steps for a custom, professional grade finish. Enjoy your new wood furniture or cabinetry!
Glaze Finish Instructions
Instructions for Finishing in Antique White with Glaze
1. Your first step will be to prep the area to which you wish to apply the finish. Sand the area or item using the supplied non-woven pad to remove splinters and to smooth over rough areas. This will allow for a good, clear surface for the finish to be applied. After the wood is smooth, you may wish to put on your latex gloves to prevent your hands from becoming colored by the product.
2. The first aerosol you will be using for your project is the Primer Sealer White. This can contains the number M103-0447. Apply a moderate coat of the Primer Sealer and allow 20-30 minutes for the sealer to dry. After the proper drying time has been reached, scuff sand using the non-woven pad.
3. Just like step 2, apply a moderate coat of Primer Sealer and allow sufficient drying time. After the product has dried, lightly scuff sand with the non-woven pad.
4. The next aerosol product in your kit is the Colored Lacquer Enamel in Antique White. This is product number M104-0412. Carefully read the instructions on the back panel of this can before continuing. Apply several light coats of the Colored Lacquer Enamel to the piece, allowing for sufficient drying time between coats. Be sure item being finished has an opaque even coating. Keep in mind this product is for interior use only. It is a fast drying, lacquer based enamel producing opaque finishes.
5. Scuff sand with the non-woven pad. Be careful not to cut through the color coat you have just created.
6. The third aerosol in your drying kit is the E-Z Vinyl™ Sealer. This item is product number M102-8000. Be sure to carefully read the back panel of the can before you begin use. Apply a moderate coat of the E-Z Vinyl™ Sealer and allow sufficient drying time.
7. Apply a second moderate coat of E-Z Vinyl™ Sealer and allow for drying time of the second coat as well.
8. After the necessary drying time has been reached, lightly scuff sand with the non-woven pad to smooth over any existing rough areas. Do not cut through the color coat.
9. The fourth aerosol product you will be using is the Finisher’s Glaze™ Glazing Stain Raw Umber. This is product number M114-0143. Read all directions on the can of Glazing stain thoroughly before beginning the application. Apply a coat of the glaze using the foam brush to distribute the glaze evenly over the item, and into reveals and routed areas where applicable. Using the cloth provided, remove the amount of glaze that provides the ‘look’ desired. Allow 30 minutes of drying time once the amount of glaze is removed. Do not touch the drying glaze, as it will lift and show fingerprints.
10. We will now return to the E-Z Vinyl™ Sealer. Apply several light coats and allow sufficient drying time. If additional glaze (Finisher’s Glaze™ Glazing Stain) is desired it can be added at this step. Allow glaze to dry and then re-seal with E-Z Vinyl™ Sealer. Lightly scuff with non-woven pad, being careful to not cut through the just applied sealer finish.
11. The final aerosol we will be using is the High Solids Pre-Catalyzed Clear Matte topcoat. This product number is M102-0320. Begin by reading all back instructions of the lacquer before applying. Apply several coats of the High Solids Pre-Catalyzed Clear Matte topcoat, allowing 15 minutes between coats. Three coats should be sufficient to provide a durable finish.
12. Allow item to dry completely overnight.
You have now completed all of the steps for the Antique White with Glaze Finish. Enjoy your new finished product!
Osborne's Mid-Summer Photo Competition!
Table Base Kit Gets the Green Light from Just the Woods!
Live Edge Coffee Table Features Osborne Legs
Custom Quote Process
Exotic Wood Makes a Stunning Desk
How To Assemble the Journeyman Pedestal Base Kit (Part #1186)
Jennifer Shannon Promoted to Osborne Front Office Team Lead
Osborne Presenting in the Big Apple!
Table Construction - Attaching a table leg using a metal corner bracket
Painted Kitchen Island Legs for Contempory Kitchen Style
How to Construct a Mission-Style Coffee Table
How to Install Equalizer Slides for Pedestal Tables
Share Your Project
Dining Table Extends to 16 Feet with Osborne Table Slides
Installing Bun Feet
Osborne Wood Products Sustainability Statement